Nashville, TN 37203
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
The beginning of Nashville’s reputation as a religious publishing center began in 1854 when the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, moved their publishing house to Nashville from Philadelphia. After occupying several downtown buildings, the Methodists built a new publishing house in 1906. This five-story commercial building with Neoclassical detail utilized steel frame construction to accommodate the heavy printing equipment. Though typical of its period, the building’s pronounced cornice and carved limestone entrance set this building apart. The Methodists moved to other, larger facilities in 1957 but continue to operate just a few blocks away.