113 8th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37203
Sun Services: 8:15 am, 10:30 am
Sun Bible Study: 9:30 am
The Lutheran Church was established in Nashville in 1859. Since the 1830s, many Germans had settled in Nashville, and many of them were Lutherans. Services were held exclusively in German until 1878. The First Lutheran Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Nashville. The neo-Gothic church, built in 1951 of bluish stone with white limestone trim, was designed by the Nashville architectural firm of Marr and Holman. The Lutherans previously had worshipped on Fifth Avenue, in the building Adolphus Heiman designed in the early 1800s for the congregation of First Baptist Church, who vacated that building in the 1880s for their current location on Broadway.