Nashville, TN 37203
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
The L&N Railroad built this monumental stone train station from 1898 to 1900. Though no longer used as a station, it is one of Nashville’s most visible and best loved landmarks. The heavy, rough stone surface of the Victorian Romanesque Revival style reveals a wealth of exquisite and delicate carving when viewed at close range. The Nashville American newspaper described Union Station on opening day, October 9, 1900, as “altogether the most magnificent and artistic – in color, configuration, and furnishing – first floor of any station in America.” Stepping into the interior of the building causes most visitors to agree. Passenger train service ended in Nashville in the 1970s, and the train station was allowed to deteriorate. The Metropolitan Government acquired the building in 1985, and leased it to developers who renovated it for a luxury hotel, opening on New Year’s Eve 1986. Union Station Hotel was rededicated on October 9, 2007, following another multi-million dollar renovation.
An enormous train shed between Union Station and Cummins Station, completed in 1900, served Union Station and its rail passengers through the mid-nineteenth century. The gable-roofed iron truss structure had a 200-foot clear span. Following a fire in 1996, the train shed was demolished in 2001.